To race a Formula Vee at some of the most famous road courses in the northeast and the world like Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, Pocono International Raceway, New Hampshire Motor Speedway and others, there are a few things you will need to do.  It may seem complicated but there is always someone to help guide you through the process.  It's not hard to do at all.  We suggest you first come to a race and see what goes on.  See the Calendar page and if you contact us before a race weekend, we can usually get you in the track so you can mosey around and get a feel for the race weekend.  If you just want to show up you can do that too and the tracks will usually charge a nominal $15 to $25 fee for a whole weekend of racing fun and walking around the pits and paddock.  Here you can get a close up view of the cars and talk with the people that race them.  After you see what goes on, you'll surely want to join in on the fun.

The following is just an overview of the what is involved with getting on the track! 

1.       Join the SCCA 

The Sports Car Club of America is a club dedicated putting on amateur races at the premier road racing circuits all across United States.  The SCCA's goal is to make it fun, safe, fair and easy.  Here in the north east, we are part of the North East Region SCCA or NER.  The NER races the road courses at NHMS, Lime Rock, Watkins Glen and Pocono Speedway 

2.        Buy a race car! 

You can also rent a race car and it may be a good idea to do so until you get your competition license.  Formula Vees can cost anywhere from $3000.00 to $20,000.00.  You can get a race ready, competitive car with spares for $6000.00 to $12,000.  If your handy you can save money by doing much by yourself.  A common and smart suggestion is to try and get a "well sorted" car that has been recently raced and has a known history.  It will save you money in the long run.  Make sure to talk to a handful of racers before you make a purchase.  We are all here together and we'll be racing each other.  It is in our best interest to see that you get into a good car at the right price.  We don't like to see anybody go home with mechanical problems so you can count on the fact that you'll get honest advice.  If renting a car, you can count on the fact that you will get track support so all you need to think about is driving.  

3.       Get a competition license. 

To get an SCCA competition license you need to complete an SCCA or accredited driver school where you will learn the rules of the racing circuit and become a capable driver in competition.  The current requirement is 6 hours of track time which is usually done over two days.  Once you complete the school you will get a novice permit which will allow you enter regional races.  You can do the schools in your own race prepped car, or rent a car from a convenient source.  In addition you will need to acquire a driver suit, helmet, race shoes and some other safety items.   

If taken step by step, it's a simple process. When you have your competition license, you can do as many races as you wish. 


Don’t forget you can always contact one of our representatives  and they will gladly help you get started.